I digiscrapping and my favorite place to scrap online has been with my friends at Deco-Pages! I was a member Creative Team for 4 1/2 years and had the opportunity to make LOs for all the wonderful designers at Deco-Pages. The site is now closed and I miss it so VERY much!

I am taking a break from my digital scrapping...but to prevent withdrawal symptoms, I am on two Creative Teams for now! Check out their blogs and watch here for my layouts with their great kits!

RETRO DESIGNS
HORSEDREAMN DESIGNS



DON'T FORGET TO CLICK ON LOs TO GET A LARGER PREVIEW!


Friday, June 11, 2010

United for Peace Kit by Benilda Scraps at Deco-Pages.com

This United for Peace Kit by Benilda Scraps was perfect to make these two LOs for Memorial Day!

My dad served on the aircraft carrier USS Siboney during WWII. I don't recall my dad talking at all about his days in the Navy. It was before he even met mom. Just found out Mom has letters he sent to his parents during the war...can't wait to read them!
Journaling
Siboney completed fitting out on 23 May in the Seattle area, and on 31 May, sailed for San Diego. She held shakedown operations in the Bay Area until 3 August. The carrier then loaded bombs, aircraft, and personnel from Air Group 36, and on 8 August departed for Pearl Harbor. Hostilities with Japan ceased the day before Siboney arrived, on 15 August, to discharge her cargo. She was in Hawaiian waters until early September when she sailed for Okinawa, via the Marshall, Caroline, and Philippine Islands.

Ship photo and patch are from the internet.



Journaling
I saw this "all business" side of my Dad while growing up! However, I never knew how handsome he was until I saw him in uniform!

Balboa Fun Zone was and still is an amusement park that was built in 1936. Dad’s ship was in the Bay Area of California for a time before going the Pearl Harbor. From reading the accounts online, hostilities with Japan ceased the day before Siboney arrived, on 15 August 1944. How fortunate for Dad!

This above photo was taken, I assume, in Honolulu area since there is a Honolulu address listed on the back of the photo to order more copies. I knew this fun-loving guy growing up, too! Although, I have only vague memories of him smoking as he quite when I was a young child.

Here's a preview of United for Peace Kit by Benilda Scraps...click on the preview to go to the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment